"With the highest rate of fire in the arsenal, this weapon is often used by the defence ministry on Super Earth for rapidly incapacitating groups of wrong-thinkers."
- Armory Description
The MP-98 Knight SMG unlocks at rank 21 (Marshal).
|Mini-stun Ammunition||1||Causes damaging bullets to apply a short mini stun.|
|AP Ammunition||Mini-stun Ammunition||2||Armor-piercing ammunition does more damage to armored targets.|
- Each bullet is loaded with a tiny electrical charge, that upon impact releases its charge and delivers it into the target. Jokingly called battery bullets by the Helldivers. Bullets will slow enemies dramatically.
- This ammunition type has been specifically designed to counter light to medium armor. AP rounds have no trouble punching through light armor and deal increased damage to targets with medium armor. Like all AP Ammo upgrades, this upgrade will not make it possible to damage Cyborg IFVs and enemies with heavy armor. Refer to Enemies/Detailed Statistics for details on AP Ammo mechanics.
- Helldivers start missions with 6 drums of ammunition and can carry up to a maximum of 12. Each magazine contains 75 rounds. If 10 or less rounds remain in the magazine when the weapon is fired, the 'low ammunition' warning sound will play and red tracer rounds will fire.
- The Knight takes 1.5 seconds to reload when empty and 1 second with ammunition remaining in the magazine. Performing a tactical reload with ammo left in the magazine keeps a round in the chamber as well, giving the Knight maximum of 76 shots before needing to be reloaded again.
|MP-98 'Knight' Detailed Analysis|
|Weapon Info||Additional Notes|
|Unlock Rank||Rank 21|
|Center Mass Damage||70||70|
|Status Effect||None||Mini-Stun*||* Requires Mini-Stun upgrade, slows by 90%|
|Effect Duration||0 s||0.3 s*||* Requires Mini-Stun upgrade, slows by 90%|
|AP Ammo Armor Reduction||0||-15†||† Requires AP Ammo upgrade|
|Cyclic Rate of Fire (RPM)||1380||1380|
|Capacity||75 + 1||75 + 1|
|Empty Reload Speed||1.5 s||1.5 s|
|Tactical Reload Speed||1.0 s||1.0 s||Keeps one round in the chamber|
|Spread Increase per Shot||0.3°||0.3°|
|Max Range||13 m||13 m|
|Bullet Spread Simulation||todo|
- Like all SMGs, the Knight gives Helldivers increased mobility while aiming and can be used when downed or carrying objectives such as the Black Box, Illuminate Power Core or Artillery Shells. Helldivers can switch between the Knight and their sidearm while carrying objectives or downed by pressing the 'weapon switch' button. If a support weapon such as the MG-94 is currently equipped, the Knight will take priority over the Helldiver's sidearm when downed or picking up objectives and will be switched to first.
- The Knight is a direct upgrade to the SMG-45 Defender in most aspects, similar to how the Patriot is nearly a direct upgrade to the Liberator. The Knight has a higher capacity magazine and has more than twice the rate of fire compared to the Defender, letting it put out a very high amount of damage while burning through its supply of ammunition very quickly. In addition, it possesses the same reload speed, damage per bullet, upgrade-path and cost as its predecessor. On the other hand, it has a much wider spread with full-auto fire, making controlled bursts necessary when dealing with enemies at the edge of its effective range.
- Out of all the SMGs available, the Knight boasts the highest rate of fire and the highest DPS while also having the fastest ammo consumption with extensive use of full-auto fire. When fully upgraded with its Mini-Stun upgrade and Armor Piercing Rounds, the Knight can easily compete with other primary weapons in terms of sheer damage per second. Its high rate of fire and mobility make it an extremely effective squad support weapon that can lock down and even kill entire mobs with its crowd control stun and high damage potential.
- The Knight is arguably one of the more effective weapons for self-defense when carrying objectives due to its controllable nature and Mini-Stun upgrade. Like the Defender, it is capable of stunning enemies long enough to escape or wait for backup. However, its high rate of fire allows it to put out enough damage to outright kill most threats.
- The description of the Mini-Stun upgrade is potentially a nod to the Leyden Ball, a fictional bullet that is described in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. It is described as a bead of glass with a steel jacket and lead bead inside that acts as a miniature but complete Leyden Jar (a type of primitive battery). Upon impact it would shatter, discharging its high-voltage payload and incapacitating or killing the target, not unlike the effect of Mini-Stun bullets.
|Sidearms||Assault rifles||LMGs||Shotguns||SMGs||Precision||Explosive||Laser tech||Arc tech|
|P-2 Peacemaker||AR-19 Liberator||MG-105 Stalwart♦||SG-225 Breaker||SMG-45 Defender||LHO-63 Camper♦||CR-9 Suppressor♦||LAS-5 Scythe||AC-3 Arc Thrower|
|P-6 Gunslinger♦||AR-22C Patriot||SG-8 Punisher||MP-98 Knight SMG||RX-1 Rail Gun||PLAS-1 Scorcher♦||LAS-16 Sickle♦||AC-5 Arc Shotgun♦|
|FLAM-24 Pyro♦||AR-20L Justice||DBS-2 Double Freedom||SMG-34 Ninja♦||M2016 Constitution||LAS-12 Tanto♦|
|PLAS-3 Singe♦||AR-14D Paragon♦||LAS-13 Trident|